Saturday 23 April 2016

Our last day in Langkawi! After our usual slow morning we packed up our stuff, paid and arranged a taxi to the airport. We had hoped to go to the skybridge and skycab but it's closer for maintenance which is annoying. Our flight was moved to a couple of hours later which was good because it meant a could spend the afternoon on the beach.

We treated ourselves to sun loungers with umbrellas so that we could have some shade. At 2 ish we went for lunch, i had a falafel wrap and ice cream and the others had kfc. Then we went back to the beach for the last time before getting driven to the airport by the hostel manager himself. He was so nice, really interested in our plans and giving us advice on things to do in kuala lumpur, and told us to 'study hard and do good things'. So cute !!

We had an hour at the airport and then boarded our plane. The flight was comedically short; the seat belt sign was off for long enough for me to listen to 1 song on my phone. We'd landed in Penang about half an hour after leaving Langkawi. We got some sweetcorn then tried to find a bus to the hostel. Everyone gave us different advice and we ended up getting a taxi with a girl going to a hostel near ours for £2 each.

 We arrived at our hostel and were greeted by the friendliest man I've ever met. Despite booking the hostel at the airport he had already learned out names and was just so accomodating. He showed us the facilities, asked it we'd eaten then said that at 9.30 we could go out for some food, drinks and a tour of the area. He drove us around the city and took us for dosas at a little restaurant. It was delicious and he paid!! He then gave us a tour and lots of advice on where we should visit before showing us a cheap place where a lot of travellers drink, and we sat there for half an hour or so. The reviews for this place had said how nice he was and they were right, he's by far the friendliest person I've ever met!!

We got back to the hostel just after 11pm and went to bed. He told us that a procession would be coming past the hostel at 2.30am and that we could go and watch it and there would be free food and drink. The others didn't want to go but I went outside and it was so cool! It was still 29°c despite being the middle of the night and everyone was in traditional Indian clothing. They set off fireworks and sang and it was amazing to see! I was too scared to get the free food but someone in the parade brought me over some water (very necessary in the heat). At 3ish I went back inside.

I've been trying to plan staying out here after the others go back to England. My first plan was India but I had thought it was too dangerous. A girl at my secondary school two years below us has recently been travelling on her own there for 2 weeks and after a bit of research I think I'm going to go out there. I'll probably spend a couple of weeks volunteering and then either travel around there for a bit of go to Bali to end the trip. I got so excited that I ended up staying awake until 5 looking up flights in a slightly manic way.

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment

:-)