Thursday 2 June 2016

first day as a solo traveller!

I have survived my first day as a solo traveller! It was quite bizarre and I think probably one of the days I've spoke least in my whole life. I woke up at 6 and got ready then sat with the family before saying goodbye as Jeanette kindly dropped me at the station. I got a train to central Sydney which was a bit delayed but luckily I'd allowed some extra time and then caught a connecting train to the airport. As I have no big bag checking in was easy and I was soon through to the shops and restaurants. I walked to near my gate and as it was now 9.30 decided to get some breakfast. I bought a vegetable toastie and a coffee which cost me $18, about £9. Now in asia that seems extortionate; it's a simlar price to my 2 nights accomodation in the centre of kuala lumpur!


My flight was delayed by half an hour or so but we boarded soon. There were quite a few english people onboard which was strange. The flight was soooo boring. It took about 8 hours 45 minutes but there was no tv, wifi etc. I also thought i'd prebooked food but i hadn't! Sad times. I read a whole harry potter book, a couple of tv shows i'd downloaded on my phone, updated my journal and sorted all the photos on my phone and was still sat for hours bored.

We finally arrived in kuala lumpur and with the time difference it was 6.10pm. I had planned to get the express train to the hostel but they were having technical difficulties so it wasn't running, so i got the bus. This took around an hour and a half. When i arrived in the centre i needed to get the monorail but had no idea how! There were loads of signs for various trains and buses but none said monorail, and everyone i asked just pointed in different directions. I finally tracked it down and boarded an expresd train but realised i needed to change to the monorail. It was a 5 minute walk to the station and was starting to get dark but as it's a busy city i was always surrounded by people and latched myself onto a french couple who were going the same way. I finally arrived at the right station and had the hostel up on google maps. My google maps however doesnt work properly and again i had to ask someone for directions, but this time they actually knew where i was going and told me the right way. I arrived at the hostel exhausted and managed to ask a random girl who didnt work there if i could check in which was embarrassing. After a shower i headed straight to bed, looking very sociable obviously.

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment

:-)