Sunday 26 June 2016

the end

The final day has arrived and I am very sad. A lot of people seem to be ready to go home by the time their travel ends but faced with the prospect of full time work I'm not at all excited. I woke up and packed my stuff, showered and then went to get some breakfast. I had a pancake and then wandered round the island, trying (unsuccessfully) to find the beautiful beach everyone photographs which has swings in the sea. I must have got very lost as I ended up in a field of cows and palm trees with no sign of a beach for miles.

I headed back to pick up my bag from the hostel mid afternoon, said bye to the staff then headed off to get the ferry. On my way I saw the family I'd met the day before and they walked down to the harbour with me (interrupting their lunch plans) and it was very helpful having them there as I got a bit lost and they were able to get me the right directions.

Around 3 I got onto my ferry back to the mainland. It was a strangely luxurious one playing films and was very empty, though nothing can drastically improve a bumpy ferry crossing. I arrived and was transferred to a mini bus with some other people from the boat. The journey took an hour or so and I fell asleep for part of it which was good. I was the last to be dropped off and was going to the airport. My flight was at 12.05am and I arrived at the airport at 7.30pm so wasn't even allowed to check in until 9. I sat in a cafe and had some food and used the wifi and then repeated the process once I'd checked in. Fortunately we boarded at like 11 and it was a very nice flight (well as nice as an economy night flight can be). I slept quite a bit though woke for the classic 1am and 5am meals.

 I had a 3 hour stopover in Dubai then boarded my final flight to Gatwick. I did what I had feared for my final weeks and ended up crying on the plane as I was so sad to be returning. A coach journey later I was home. I definitely don't live in the worst place in the world but after everything I've seen england just seems a little average.

And so that is an end to my travels, if anyone has stuck reading this then thank you it's nice to think people are interested! These 4 months have been the best of my life thus far and I can't wait to travel again.

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment

:-)